Reading is important in children's development. It inspires imagination taking you to new worlds, increases vocabulary and enhances concentration, stirs emotions and ideas, and helps us relate to others. Reading to your children at a young age and as they grow creates a bond between parent and child, and increases academic excellence and the joy of learning. Reading applies to every aspect of life.
What is something every parent can do for their child? Read to them. Sit down and spend time with your child or children, in a warm comfortable environment and introduce her/him/them to the joy of books.
For more info on the advantages of reading to children here are some articles to look into:
- Teaching Reading Early article at http://www.teachreadingearly.com/benefits-of-early-reading.php
- Raise Smart Kids article at http://www.raisesmartkid.com/all-ages/1-articles/14-the-benefits-of-reading-to-your-child
- Parents.com artcilce on newborn development http://www.parents.com/baby/development/intellectual/benefits-of-reading-to-your-newborn/
- Wishing Well article http://www.childrenswishingwell.org/5-benefits-of-reading-to-children/
- ABC Life Literacy Canada http://abclifeliteracy.ca/fld/family-literacy-facts-stats
- From the SD59: http://earlylearning.sd59.bc.ca/wp-content/blogs.dir/3/files/2013/11/Literacy-at-Home-Activity-Cards.pdf/
online that may help to inspire you and your family:
- On pintrest - activities for kids: http://www.pinterest.com/NLieuOPreschool/literacy-language-activities-for-kids/ and http://www.pinterest.com/small_types/literacy-activities/
- Teaching Ideas website http://www.teachingideas.co.uk/english/contents.htm
- Zero to Three website http://www.zerotothree.org/child-development/early-language-literacy/tips-tools-early-lit-and-lang.html
Tumbler Ridge offers many FREE programs that promote litteracy. You are invited to join!
- Strong Start @ Tumbler Ridge Elementary school day mornings (ages 0-5)
- Alpha Bits Crawls @ Tumbler Ridge Community Centre (ages 0-5) Wednesday at 10 am
- Wednesday Club & Lego Club@ Tumbler Ridge Public Libary (ages 5-12) Wednesday at 3 pm
- Lap Sit @ Tumbler Ridge Public Library (ages 0-2) Thursday at 11 am
Check out the events calendar for more info.